Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Major case of GAS..

First time I heard the term 'GAS' I thought someone was referring to having eaten a bad burrito or something... Turns out that on most gear Forums the term 'GAS' is a commonly used term for 'Guitar (or Gear) Acquisition Syndrome': The uncontrollable urge to get yourself a new toy! (and relief to your GAS - although it may only be shortlived is: NGD or HGND; (Happy) New Guitar/Gear Day! where you actually take delivery of said toy ;) ) As I may have mentioned before I had been 'out of' doing a lot with my music because of other hobbies (My Car & RC Helicopters ) / no time in general.
However, ever since I got my neck-upgrade for my telecaster it has kick-started something where I've been practically obsessed with catching up/making up for lost time and have been drooling over all kinds of great guitars and gear. So , First the Neck, then I got the BlackTop Tele Body, Then the Highway One Strat Body...now I want more still! I figured it'd be fun to have a little overview of all the stuff I've been looking at:

Strat Neck to Finish the Black Strat

Brian was supposed to get back to me about doing this SMNF-V neck with some TonePros TPKF6BTuners. These are more modern with the nut up front instead of the vintage press bushing but still have the Vintage split post design which really gives a clean look

However he's been busy with other things (and may have actually forgotten at this point), which gives me more time to look around. I've been very tempted to actually get an American Deluxe V-Shaped Neck which has a compound radius of 9"-14", but still with the nice V-Shape in the back. Little pricey though, but I may very well end up with this..


White Stratocaster with Rosewood neck
 Yes I said it... Rosewood.. Call it curiosity... but really the Arctic or Olympic White strats are one of the few where I think the rosewood actually looks good! Years ago I was really into a 'every guitar has to be black'-thing, but if anything my wine-red telecaster has taught me that the color doesn't really matter - it's how the instruments speaks to- and connects with you.
One I saw was a '62 American Fender 'Hot-Rod' which is pictured above. Truly stunning though a tad pricey at $1699. Still - one of these days I will have a Strat like that .

American Deluxe Black with V Neck
When I was looking for V-Neck for my Black-Strat project I ran across the American Deluxe V-Neck.
Whilst I already have an American Deluxe (FSR) with SCN Pickups this particular model has the new N3 noiseless pickups (3 singles vs my HSS setup) and best of all a V-Shaped Neck with compound radius.

 The V-Neck only is available on a Burst, Candy Apple Red and a Black Model. Obviously my preference would still be the black model. It looks amazing and I've heard good things about the N3 pickups vs the SCN pickups I have on my None-More-Black.


American Deluxe Tungsten
As I was looking through the different deluxe models there was one that really jumped out at me. The 'Tungsten' American Deluxe Stratocaster.


While it didn't have the V-Shape neck I though the color contrast looked REALLY sharp and I wouldn't mind having one of these any day of the week!


1977 Hardtail Stratocaster
One of my dreams is to have a 1977 Hardtail Stratocaster. While there is nothing 'special' , unique or even 'vintage' about these guitars - they're just old & if anything the 70s were known for producing CRAPPY fenders - I just have a soft spot for this model year.



Gibson Les Paul
 Yes yes - as much as I have NEVER been into Les Pauls, I figured I should at least have 'one' or at least spend some serious time with one before outright dismissing them based on some experiences years ago. I've just never clicked with them. And while there are naturally 'cheaper' (& legal) copies (which many people claim are really just as good) such as the Epiphone Plus tops etc. I figured I should really try the real deal to be fair. So far I've just done a LOT of looking, and even visually 99.99999% of Les Pauls just don't click with me.. However, I found a few in a 'Aqua Blue' or 'Trans Blue Flame' that did look rather impressive (with matching impressive price-tag of 3k+! *ouch*)




Ibanez JS1000/1200
I really enjoy Ibanez guitars for music in the styles of Steve Vai & Joe Satriani. The Joe Satriani Signature models are one I've always wanted to have. The JS1000 & JS1200 are virtually identical with the difference being the JS1000 being black vs the Candy Apple Red of the JS1200, and the pickups. I really like the sleek lines these guitars have



Ibanez JS2400
The JS2400 is the latest Satriani Model. Comes with 24 fets and a rails humbucker in the neck position.
Some people hate it, but I like it a lot!


Ibanez JS Prototype
Joe Satriani has been touring on the Experience Hendrix Tour where he used a 3 'single-coil' (well stacked humbucker) custom Ibanez Prototype with actually a maple neck. The Pickups are supposedly DiMarzio Choppers and Pro Track pickups. If this guitar ever makes it to release I will definitely be all over it!



No comments:

Post a Comment