Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Project "Black Strat" : Step 2 - The Neck

For the neck of any guitar I normally like a 'pale maple' neck - the black on black almost demands a more intense color like the Gilmour strat.
That Neck just pops and looks very classy.  Also I wanted a 'modern' headstock (not a 70s style as is common on some of the re-issue/newer cheaper models) and since I loved the new V-Shaped 7.5" radius neck on my Telecaster I really wanted the same neck. From my previous search for the Telecaster Neck I had already found out that All-Parts (who made my Tele Neck) makes the same neck for a Stratocaster AND they also offer it in a Nitro Finish, giving it that rich gold color.
The 'Perfect' Neck for project "Black Strat" - SMNF-V
Of course the only downside is having the truss-rod adjustment in the heel (it is 'vintage' after all), but I can live with that.

I got back in touch with Brian Mason (Atrox) of Mason Custom Guitars and told him I was looking to get a SMNF-V Neck with some kind of graphite nut either standard Gotoh or Schaller Locking tuners (both the modern kind). While the vintage tuners on my Telecaster are Great, I wanted to go for a certain look and having the large 'flange'/nut on the tuner is part of it. For the Nut, though Initially I wanted a black graphite one I have since changed my mind and am back with a 'white' bone or graphtech nut since I feel the black would stand out too much on the neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment