Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rack & Effects Update

I was browsing online just to kill some time and feed my renewed interest in my guitars etc when I figured I should see what the 4th of July specials are on some of the online music sites. I've had a gaping hole in my rack setup since that is where I wanted a rack-mount tuner, but the way they are usually priced I figured this would be a few years out. I swing over to Guitar Center and what, much to my surprise, do I find on sale? A Behringer Rack-mount tuner (BTR 2000) for less than 90 bucks! Reviews were either so-so- or fine, so I figured I would just try it. Of course my Patchbay was Behringer too, so I figured at least they match too. For 90 bucks my expectations aren't that high so even if it tunes at least as good as my hand-held I'll be happy.


RACKTUNER BTR2000


Ultra-Flexible, Auto-Chromatic 2-Channel Tuner with Metronome and Integrated Racklight

  • Multi-functional tuner including built-in microphone for use with acoustic instruments
  • Useful metronome, adjustable from 30 to 240 bpm with audible and visual beat indicator. You can also work on-the-fly with the manual TAP tempo function
  • Integrated, switchable racklights with high-power LEDs for absolute control over your rack gear
  • 11 different tuner modes (e. g. "chromatic", "banjo" or open tunings) based on 12 equally tempered tones
  • Manual or automatic A-tone standard pitch calibration from 428 Hz to 452 Hz in 1-Hz increments, transposable by a maximum of ± 7 semitones for especially flexible tuning
  • Adjustable resolution of the LED bar (5 Cent/LED vs. 1 Cent/LED) enables precise tuning up to the cent, which allows for user-defined tuning systems
  • Two separate input channels accessible via front and back connectors (controllable via optional footswitch)
  • Additional 1/4'' TS output for metronome click/reference tone - perfect for monitoring and practice applications
  • True hardware bypass for highest signal integrity between input and output
  • Practical Mute function for direct signal muting during tuning (controllable via optional footswitch)
  • High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
  • Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany


    Now of course there's always the incentive to shop more.. "oh spend only $10 more and get free shipping". What else do I need? Well not much really... What else do I WANT though? LOTS of stuff!
    As I was going through things in my head I actually was reading back on my post about my effect pedals. One thing I always wanted to add was a Compressor/Sustainer unit. So after searching on the site I found they had a nice MXR model (M-132) compressor and the BOSS CS-3 Pedal.  Since i have a 'fondness' of Boss Pedals I went with the BOSS CS-3 even though it was slightly more than the MXR pedal.

    BOSS CS-3: Compression Sustainer

     

    The CS-3 Compression Sustainer pedal compresses louder signals while boosting lower signals, providing smooth sustain without degrading the original sound quality. This is the perfect pedal for guitarists and bassists who want to sound their best.

    • Compact compression/sustainer pedal with high-quality circuitry
    • Compresses loud signals and boosts softer signals for a smooth overall sound
    • Onboard Level, Tone, Attack and Sustain controls for precise tonal shaping
    • Low-noise design for super-quiet operation
    • BOSS 5-year warranty

    I'd say that's a pretty good score for around $200.
    As far as getting it into the rack, I 'm still torn on where exactly to put it..
    My Initial setup was from Top to bottom: Power, PatchBay, Tuner, Reverb
    Then I switched it to: Power, Tuner, PatchBay , Reverb

    Please don't mind this horrid Cell Phone Picture of 'The Rack'..

    Reason being is that the Tuner is actually not flush, but curved outwards and has lights underneath it. This makes it look awkward when it's lower in the rack. While the 2nd layout is better and 'logically' I like having the power all the way on top, but now I think I will change it again to: Tuner, Power, PatchBay, Reverb. That way the curvature of the tuner won't get in the way of anything and it just 'flows' a little bit better.

    Much Better!
    You can also see I have some speakers on the bottom shelf which are hooked into the patchbay which is a very convenient way to hook up my MO8 synthesizer.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment